Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Home Cookin'.

So far, I've been able to make Hueston some yummy food. We started around the beginning of January, with a few breaks for sickness, and it's going well so far. I'm having fun cooking things I hadn't tried before!

[Pretend there is a picture of fresh, whole acorn and butternut squash here.]

This is what they looked like after I baked them and scraped out their insides.
[top - acorn; bottom - butternut]If I were a real food blogger, I would have taken pictures while they were in the oven, along with their friend the sweet potato. I would also have shots of the scraping process. However, I am not. Therefore, there are not.

This is what the good stuff looked like after I scooped it out. The lighter-colored bowl is acorn squash; the other is butternut.

And here they are with the sweet potato. The butternut squash and sweet potato are almost identical in color (the photos don't do justice to the colors); however, the squash has a somewhat waterier texture.
[clockwise from top left: acorn squash, butternut squash, sweet potato]
Next, I put each one in my handy-dandy Magic Bullet and pureed it, spooned the puree into ice-cube trays, covered the trays with foil, and froze them for several hours.
When they were set, I dumped the cubes into freezer bags so they'd take up less room and be more accessible when I needed them.

Aren't they pretty?
(clockwise from top left: green beans, sweet potato, butternut squash, acorn squash)

When I want to feed Hueston, I just pop a couple of cubes in a bowl and thaw them. Usually I put the small bowl in a bigger bowl of hot water, but the microwave works, too.
For meals on the go, I put a few cubes in a tiny Tupperware-type container and let them thaw in the diaper bag. Usually they're close to room temperature by the time we're ready to eat.

Hueston has done really well so far - he's eaten everything I've offered him. The only exception has been avocado, and I hadn't pureed it - just fork-mashed it, and so I think it was more of a texture thing than taste.

FOOD REPERTOIRE:
sweet potato (baked, then pureed)
rice cereal (I tried grinding my own in a coffee grinder and cooking it, but it was a little too lumpy at first, so we've been using Earth's Best)
avocado (fork-mashed)
banana (fork-mashed; also pureed and mixed with rice cereal)
acorn squash (baked, then pureed)
butternut squash (baked, then pureed)
green beans (frozen; cooked according to package directions, then pureed)
pears (peeled, cored, diced, cooked on stovetop, then pureed - yum!)
apples (peeled, cored, diced, cooked on stovetop with extra liquid from pears, then pureed)
oatmeal (Earth's Best - but I'm going to take a crack at grinding grains again soon)
prune juice (mixed with cereal, also mixed with water from a syringe - cups and bottle have been unsuccessful so far)
chicken (baked, no seasoning, diced and pureed)
broccoli (steamed, then pureed - H has only had a taste from my fingertip, so we'll see how he likes it at dinnertime tonight!)

1 comment:

  1. What a fun post (I've been meaning to comment)! I love to see what you're whipping up for the little man. I remember Emmett loved my home-made corn and peas the best (aren't store bought babyfood peas just icky looking?). Anyway, happy eating (and pureeing) to you guys.

    ReplyDelete